Two advertisements from 1955 promoting Donelson Hills as a great area to live. It remains that way today. For more historic images and stories from the area, visit http://facebook.com/groups/donelsonhistory.
Pictures from the mid-1950’s of Donelson Hills when it was just being built.
Street Sign Replacement Project
Our Street Sign Replacement Project has not only been part of the beautification efforts, but is also helping to preserve our 70+ year old neighborhood and a way to honor our “Heritage Neighbors”, those that have lived here for many years (some since the beginning) and who created the memories and sense of community that makes it a great place to live today. Four of our street signs that are close to where these neighbors lived or are living have been dedicated to them.
Bobby Stowers (dedicated street sign at the corner of Theodore Road and Graeme Drive)
James Robert “Bobby” Stowers was a native of Nashville who grew up in the Waverly/Belmont area now known as the 12th South district. He graduated from West High School and soon joined the Army to serve during the Korean War. After the war, Bobby joined and retired from the Army National Guard. Bobby moved to Donelson Hills on Graeme Drive in 1968 with his wife, Betty and three children, Richard, Debbie and John. He also worked and retired from South Central Bell serving in the supply division and as an over the road driver across the state. Bobby wasn’t an idle man, he also worked part-time for several local towing companies and once retired, went to work for C & D, a company that stripes the roadways. Bobby loved camping and he and Betty spent many days and nights at Hermitage Landing Campground before it was sold and became Nashville Shores. This was the perfect place to raise their granddaughter, Candace. For years Bobby would join the gentleman’s group that gathered at Mrs. Winners for morning coffee and to share the “goings on” in Donelson. Bobby passed away October 30th, 2012 and his smile and good nature is sadly missed.
Hoyte Eakes (dedicated street sign at the corner of Brookview Drive and Barker Road)
Hoyte was a 1948 graduate of East Nashville High School. He married Jane in 1950 and they built their first home on Lumar Lane in Donelson, where their daughter Laurie was born in 1959. They bought their farm at the end of Barker Road in 1963. Hoyte retired as Master Sgt. after 23 years of service with the Tennessee National Guard as Drum Major of the 30th Division band. He owned and operated Super Drive-Ins, Inc. (SDI Markets) for 25 years. He was a founding member and member of the Board of Directors for the Tennessee Grocers Association. After selling SDI, he spent his full time with his passion of Tennessee Walking Horses, developed his own blood line, won many championships, and was known throughout the industry. He was inducted into the Tennessee Walking Horse Hall of Fame in 2007.
Hidden Acres Farm, in Donelson Hills, was his home and where his heart was. He built it to be a beautiful place to live, work, and raise a family.
William ‘Bill’ and June McBride (dedicated street sign at the corner of Dellrose Drive and Cottage Lane)
Jan Taylor (dedicated street sign at the corner of Donelson Hills Drive and June Drive)